6 Tips to Organize your Home’s Closets
There’s no such thing as too much storage space, so don’t underestimate its importance when selling your home. While less glamourous than a kitchen update or bathroom refresh, ample storage can seal the deal for some homebuyers who will open every door to suss out the situation.
While you may not be able to change the footprint of your closets (nor want to), there are some clever ways to create the illusion of more space.
1. The most obvious is to declutter so that your closets aren’t overflowing with ‘stuff.’ The goal should be to reduce what’s in them by 50% so that they look airy. Then organize your clothes by colour and if you really want to ‘wow’ buyers, make sure all hangars are the same type, preferably wooden.
2. Add another rod if you only have one. This doubles the usable hanging space.
3. Make use of any upper shelves but keep them tidy. Consider a shelf divider, which turns the space into little cubbies to keep handbags upright or for folded clothes, but remember not to stack them too high.
4. Hang a mirror on the inside door. It will make the closet feel like it extends beyond the walls.
5. Paint the interior white if it’s not already a light, neutral colour. This will make it look bright and feel more open.
6. Add a light fixture. This also makes it much easier to find what you’re looking for. Since most closets aren’t outfitted for electric lights, you’ll need to call in an electrician. Alternatively, you can install a battery-powered, motion-sensor LED light that switches on when you open the closet door and automatically turns off a few minutes later.